There’s nothing like a hike in the great outdoors to leave you speechless (…and breathless).
It happened to me recently when I was hiking in the Dolomites, Italy:
The sun was hanging low in the sky and a blanket of early morning mist hugged the valley floor around me.
The air was crisp and clean, pine trees stood tall at every turn, and, to top it all off, I was flanked on all sides by huge, snow-capped mountains that towered high above my head.
I was lost for words at how ludicrously beautiful everything was.
Now, it’s awesome being dumbstruck by your surroundings. But, speaking from experience, it’s the last thing you want when you’re searching for the perfect hiking captions for Instagram!
You want to do justice to the scene, but nothing you write seems to capture it. Know the struggle?
Well, if you’re looking for some hiking quotes and captions ideas to make your life a little easier, you’re in the right place…
Keep reading for 125 of the best trekking quotes and Instagram captions for hiking.
125 Epic Hiking Quotes & Hiking Captions for Instagram
The coming sections contain a blend of quotes from famous faces and captions I came up with that all, somehow, relate to the magic of hiking & being in the great outdoors.
I hope you find a few to use in your upcoming Insta posts.
Heads up, you might also like these nature captions for Instagram!
Top 20 Hiking Instagram Captions
I thought I’d start with my favourite hiking Instagram captions! Inspiring and enlightening in equal measure, I hope you like them as much as I did:
1. “The mountains are calling and I must go.” – John Muir
2. “The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot” - Werner Herzog
3. “You’re off to great places, today is your day. Your mountain is waiting, so get on your way.” – Dr. Seuss
4. “An early-morning walk is a blessing for the whole day.” – Henry David Thoreau
5. “You need special shoes for hiking – and a bit of a special soul as well.” - Terry Guillemets
6. “Returning home is the most difficult part of long-distance hiking. You have grown outside the puzzle and your piece no longer fits.” - Cindy Ross
7. “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.” - T.S. Eliot
8. "I am happy out here. Messy hair, dirty feet & wild water on my skin. Out here with the wild things; this is where I belong.” — Brooke Hampton
9. “The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.” - Robert Frost
11. “It had nothing to do with gear or footwear or the backpacking fads or philosophies of any particular era or even with getting from point A to point B. It had to do with how it felt to be in the wild. With what it was like to walk for miles with no reason other than to witness the accumulation of trees and meadows, mountains and deserts, streams and rocks, rivers and grasses, sunrises and sunsets. The experience was powerful and fundamental. It seemed to me that it had always felt like this to be a human in the wild, and as long as the wild existed it would always feel this way.” - Cheryl Strayed
12. “It’s not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.” - Sir Edmund Hillary
13. “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” – Confucius
14. “Walking: the most ancient exercise and still the best modern exercise.” - Carrie Latet
15. “The long-distance hiker, a breed set apart, from the likes of the usual pack. He’ll shoulder his gear, be hittin’ the trail; long gone, long ‘fore he’ll be back.” – M.J. Eberhart
16. “There really is no correct way to hike the trail, and anyone who insists that there is ought not to worry so much about other people’s experiences. Hikers need to hike the trail that’s right for them.” - Adrienne Hall
17. “We don’t stop hiking because we grow old. We grow old because we stop hiking.” - Finis Mitchell
18. “I always wonder why birds stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth. Then I ask myself the same question.” - Harun Yahya
19. “I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than trees.” - Henry David Thoreau
20. “After a day’s walk, everything has twice its usual value.” – G.M. Trevelyan
10 Inspiring Trekking Quotes & Captions
Want to say something inspirational in your latest IG post? These inspiring trekking quotes should do the trick! Check them out…
21. “The summit is what drives us, but the climb itself is what matters.” – Conrad Anker
22. “I see my path, but I don’t know where it leads. Not knowing where I’m going is what inspires me to travel it.” - Rosalia de Castro
23. “I was amazed that what I needed to survive could be carried on my back. And, most surprising of all, that I could carry it.” - Cheryl Strayed
24. “I refuse to let this suffering be for nothing. In fact, I refuse to suffer.” I whispered to myself as I pushed each tent stake into the ground. “I can adapt. I am adapting.” Another long day was done and I was forty-two miles closer to Canada.” - Heather “Anish” Anderson
25. “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail”– Ralph Waldo Emerson
27. “I considered my options. There were only two and they were essentially the same. I could go back in the direction I had come from, or I could go forward in the direction I intended to go.” - Cheryl Strayed
28. “Trails are routes to remembrance just as they are routes to knowledge.” - T.P. Lye
29. “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in an office or mowing the lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” – Jack Kerouac
30. “On a hike, the days pass with the wind, the sun, the stars; movement is powered by a belly full of food and water, not a noxious tankful of fossil fuels. On a hike, you’re less a job title and more a human being. A periodic hike not only stretches the limbs but also reminds us: Wow, there’s a big old world out there.” - Ken Ilgunas
10 Beautiful Instagram Captions for Hiking
Beauty’s ubiquitous when you head out for a hike. Here are 10 quotes about hiking that are (almost) as beautiful as the sights you see!
31. “I walked slowly to enjoy this freedom, and when I came out of the mountains, I saw the sky over the prairie, and I thought that if heaven was real, I hoped it was a place I never had to go, for this earth was greater than any paradise.” - Daniel J. Rice
32. “May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.” – Edward Abbey
33. “Oh, how can I put into words the joys of a walk over country such as this; the scenes that delight the eyes, the blessed peace of mind, the sheer exuberance which fills your soul as you tread the firm turf? This is something to be lived, not read about.” - Alfred Wainwright
34. “Hiking is not escapism; it’s realism. The people who choose to spend time outdoors are not running away from anything; we are returning to where we belong.” – Jennifer Pharr Davis
36. “And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.” – John Muir
37. “The earth has music for those who listen.” -Shakespeare
38. “The danger of adventure is worth a thousand days of ease and comfort.” - Paulo Coelho
39. “Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow.” – Henry David Thoreau
40. “To be whole. To be complete. Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to rather than what we are separate from.” - Terry Tempest Williams
10 Insightful Hiking Quotes Instagram
Exerting yourself in the great outdoors has a habit of teaching you a thing or two about yourself, the world, and life itself. Here are 10 insightful hiking quotes Instagram users are sure to love:
41. “The more civilized man becomes, the more he needs and craves a great background of forest wildness, to which he may return like a contrite prodigal from the husks of an artificial life.” - Ellen Burns Sherman
42. “Each fresh peak ascended teaches something.” - Sir Martin Conway
43. 100. “Everything worthwhile is uphill. Everything!” – John Maxwell
44. “If you are seeking creative ideas, go out walking. Angels whisper to a man when he goes for a walk.” - Raymond Inmon
46. “There is, of course, a deep spiritual need which the pilgrimage seems to satisfy, particularly for those hardy enough to tackle the journey on foot.” – Edwin Mullins
47. "Some beautiful paths can't be discovered without getting lost." — Erol Ozan
48. “Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery why we climb.” - Greg Child
49. “For hiking is one of those things that you can only do when you have the determination in you.” – Unknown
50. “The hills have a power to soothe and heal which is their very own. No man ever sat alone on the top of a hill and planned a murder or a robbery, and no man ever came down from the hills without feeling in some way refreshed, and the better for his experience.” - Alfred Wainwright
10 Hiking Captions for Insta About Nature
Head out for a hike and you can’t help but be blown away by the beauty of Mother Nature. It’s often enough to leave you speechless!
These quotes and hiking captions for Insta should help you find the words you’re looking for:
51. “There is a pleasure in the pathless woods. I love not Man the less, but Nature more.” - Lord Byron
52. “Look deep into nature and you will understand everything better.” - Albert Einstein
53. “The journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step.” - Lao Tzu
54. “I slow down when hiking. The rhythm of nature is more leisurely. The sun comes up, it moves across the sky, and you begin to synchronize to that rhythm.” - John Mackey
56. “There is nothing worse, after days of falling asleep by a babbling brook and waking up to a choir chirping birds, than to go inside a house with insulated walls and an obstructive roof. This torturous invention, a cage, a box, prevents you from seeing or hearing anything of natural importance. Make time to free yourself and find a bit of nature.” - Katherine Keith
57. “I love walking in the woods, along the trails, by the beaches. I love being part of nature. I love walking alone. It is therapy. One needs to be alone, to recharge one’s batteries.” - Grace Kelly
58. “When we walk into a grove of trees or under an open sky the magic of nature takes over and the heaviness of life lifts a little.’ - Natassia Cassinero
59. “To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
60. “The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom.” - Theodore Roosevelt
10 Hiking Photo Captions about Mountains (Mountain Instagram Captions)
Just snapped an epic shot of some mountains on your hike? Check out these mountain Instagram captions ideas to do it justice:
61. “Every mountain top is within reach if you just keep climbing.” – Barry Finlay
62. “Chasing angels or fleeing demons, go to the mountains.” - Jeffrey Rasley
63. “Nobody climbs mountains for scientific reasons. Science is used to raise money for the expeditions, but you really climb for the hell of it.” - Sir Edmund Hillary
64. “Climb the mountain not to plant your flag, but to embrace the challenge, enjoy the air and behold the view. Climb it so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.” - David McCullough Jr.
66. “My father considered a walk among the mountains as the equivalent of churchgoing.” – Aldous Huxley
67. “In the mountains, you are sometimes invited, sometimes tolerated, and sometimes told to go home.” - Fred Beckey
68. “You never climb the same mountain twice, not even in memory. Memory rebuilds the mountain, changes the weather, retells the jokes, remakes all the moves.” - Lito Tejada-Flores
69. “No matter how sophisticated you may be, a large granite mountain cannot be denied – it speaks in silence to the very core of your being.” - Ansel Adams
70. “Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.” - Anatoli Boukreev
10 Instagram Hiking Captions About Life
Has your latest hike taught you something about yourself and life in general? Well, the upcoming Instagram hiking captions could be perfect for your post:
71. “Trails are like that: you’re floating along in a Shakespearean Arden paradise and expect to see nymphs and flute boys, then suddenly you’re struggling in a hot broiling sun of hell in dust and nettles and poison oak…just like life.” - Jack Kerouac
72. “The best journeys in life are those that answer questions you never thought to ask.” - Rich Ridgeway
73. “Hiking is a bit like life: The journey only requires you to put one foot in front of the other…again and again and again. And if you allow yourself the opportunity to be present throughout the entirety of the trek, you will witness beauty every step of the way, not just at the summit” – Unknown
74. “Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you are climbing it.” - Andy Rooney
76. “Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” – Edward Abbey
77. “If you face the rest of your life with the spirit you show on the trail, it will have no choice but to yield the same kind of memories and dreams.” - Adrienne Hall
78. “We live in a fast-paced society. Walking slows us down.” – Robert Sweetgall
79. “Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity.” – John Muir
80. “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” – John Muir
10 Short & Good Hiking Captions
Don’t want to write an essay on your IG? Here are some good hiking captions for anybody who’d rather keep things short and sweet.
81. “Walking is a man’s best medicine.” – Hippocrates
82. "There are no shortcuts to any place worth going." - Beverly Sills
83. “Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
84. “Where the signposts end, the trail begins.” - Marty Rubin
86. “There is always an adventure waiting in the woods.” - Katelyn S. Bolds
87. “Hike more, worry less” – Unknown
88. “Leave the roads, take the trails” – Pythagoras
89. “The best view comes after the hardest climb.” – Unknown
90. “Not all who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien
10 Funny Hiking Quotes & Funny Hiking Captions
Looking for funny hiking quotes for Instagram instead? Keep things light-hearted in your latest post with the following hiking pun captions…
91. “DEET is nature's cologne.” - Every Hiker
92. “Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.” - Ed Viesturs
93. “There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
94. "If the winter is too cold and the summer is too hot, you are not a hiker." - A Bitter Hiker
96. “Hiking is just walking where it’s okay to pee.” - Demetri Martin
97. “When everything feels like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top.” - Anonymous
98. “In the mountains, there are only two grades: You can either do it, or you can’t.” - Rusty Baillie
99. “Happiness and hiking go hand in hand or foot in boot.” – Diane Spicer
25 Fun Hiking Captions for Instagram
Not everybody wants a hiking quote for their IG posts! Check out the following fun hiking captions for Instagram if you’d rather write something unique to you.
101. There may be no Wi-Fi in the woods, but I promise you’ll find a better connection.
102. Hike more. Worry Less.
103. I was born with hiking in my heart.
104. Hiking is my happy place.
105. Life is better with a pair of hiking boots on your feet.
106. High on life as I hike to higher places.
107. Mother Nature’s my therapist.
108. Wild and free- exactly how life should be.
109. Taking things one step at a time.
110. It’s called the Great Outdoors for a reason…
112. The wind in my hair. The ground beneath my feet. What more could you want?
113. Mother Nature doing her thing.
114. Another day another summit.
115. I’ve only gone and done it: conquered another summit.
116. Heart pumping. Legs burning. An epic workout in a wondrous place.
117. Feeling moved by immovable mountains.
118. Any time spent in the Great Outdoors is time well spent.
119. There’s no such thing as ‘too much fresh air’.
120. Hiking. Exploring. Adventuring. Living.
121. Wandering for the sake of it.
122. Nature calls!
123. They told me to ‘take a hike’. So I did.
124. Mile after mile. Day after day. The trail is fast becoming home.
125. Speechless (and breathless!)
Use These Hiking Quotes & Hiking Captions for Instagram!
Finding words to describe the stunning sights, sensations, and overall experience of hiking can be easier said than done.
That’s bad news when you’re trying to write a compelling caption for your latest IG post!
With any luck, though, the ideas above will help out in this regard.
Keep these 125 awesome hiking quotes and hiking captions for Instagram in mind and you should be one step closer to the perfect post.