It doesn’t matter how many times I see a waterfall.
I’m always in awe of them! From raging torrents to tiny trickles, every time I stumble across one on my travels I can’t help but stop and stare in amazement.
Whether it’s the cacophony of sound, the constant movement, or the raw power of nature on display, waterfalls have something spellbinding about them that’s hard to put into words.
And that’s bad news when you’re looking for waterfall captions for Instagram!
With that in mind, I decided to put together a list of the best waterfall quotes I could find, followed by a big bunch of captions about waterfalls. I hope it helps anyone who’s on the hunt for Instagram captions for waterfall pics. Enjoy!
180 Waterfall Quotes & Waterfall Captions for Instagram
Putting words to waterfalls is no easy task! Thankfully, some wise old wordsmiths of past and present have managed to do a pretty good job of it.
Here are 90 quotes on waterfalls for you to use in your forthcoming Instagram posts (following by 90 specific waterfall captions for Instagram you can try out for size too).
90 Quotes on Waterfalls
Let’s start with the best quotes on waterfalls I could find! Here are 100 amazing falls quotes that should make great additions to any future Instagram posts.
My Favourite Quotes about falls
1. “There is a hidden message in every waterfall. It says, if you are flexible, falling will not hurt you.” - Mehmet Murat Ildan
2. “Just let go – and fall like a little waterfall.” - Bob Ross
3. "There’s hope at the bottom of the biggest waterfall." - Patrick Ness
4. “There is a waterfall in every dream. Cool and crystal clear, it falls gently on the sleeper, cleansing the mind and soothing the soul.” - Virginia Alison
5. “Grace is finding a waterfall when you were only looking for a stream.” - Vanessa Hunt
6. “Look with open eyes, and you will see the beauty of the waterfall.” - Anthony Hincks
7. “Run wild and free like a waterfall.” - Anamika Mishra
8. “Your love is like a waterfall, running wild and free." - Chris Tomlin
9. “The idea is that flowing water never goes stale, so just keep on flowing.” - Bruce Lee
10. “She dares me to pour myself out like a living waterfall. She dares me to enter the soul that is more than my own; she extinguishes fear in mere seconds. She lets light come through.” - Virginia Woolf
Heads up, you might also like these posts:
Memorable Quotes for waterfalls
11. “A strong man and a waterfall always channel their own path.” - Unknown
12. “There's no better place to find yourself than sitting by a waterfall and listening to its music.” - Roland R. Kemler
13. “They both listened silently to the water, which to them was not just water, but the voice of life, the voice of Being, the voice of perpetual Becoming.” - Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha
14. “They say that people who live next to waterfalls don’t hear the water.” - Jonathan Safran Foer
15. “Mother Nature is the greatest artist and water is one of her favorite brushes.” - Rico Besserdich
16. “Above them, a waterfall tumbled from a clifftop as high as a church steeple. The water fell in milky blue strands, shooting spray in the air that danced in rainbows of gold, pink, and blue.” - Martine Bailey
17. “There’s nobody living who couldn’t stand all afternoon in front of a waterfall. Anyone who can sit on a stone in a field awhile can see my painting. Nature is like parting a curtain, you go into it as you would cross an empty beach to look at the ocean.” - Agnes Martin
18. “It is life, I think, to watch the water. A man can learn so many things.” - Nicholas Sparks
19. “For most of us, there is only the unattended moment, the moment in and out of time. The distraction fit, lost in a shaft of sunlight, The wild thyme unseen, or the winter lightning. Or the waterfall, or music heard so deeply. That it is not heard at all, but you are the music. While the music lasts. - T. S. Eliot, Four Quartets
20. "Waterfalls wouldn’t sound so melodious if there were no rocks in their way.” - Rishabh Gautam
Beautiful Fall quotes
21. “It was a world of acts, and words had no more influence on acts than the sound of a waterfall has on the flow of the stream.” - Kim Stanley
22. “Leisure is a form of silence, not noiselessness. It is the silence of contemplation such as occurs when we let our minds rest on a rosebud, a child at play, a Divine mystery, or a waterfall.” - Fulton J. Sheen
23. “And when you hear the sound of the waterfall coming nearer and nearer, tidy up the boat, put on your best tie and hat, and smoke a cigar right up till the moment you go over. That’s a triumph.” - Ray Bradbury
24. “As long as I live, I’ll hear waterfalls and birds and winds sing. I’ll interpret the rocks, learn the language of flood, storm, and the avalanche. I’ll acquaint myself with the glaciers and wild gardens, and get as near the heart of the world as I can.” - John Muir
25. “We start in different places, but in the end, we all meet at the waterfall. Adopt the pace of nature.” - R. W. Emerson
26. “Just as a waterfall grows slower and more lightly suspended as it plunges down, so the great man of action tends to act with greater calmness than his tempestuous desires prior to the deed would lead one to expect.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
27. “Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.” - J. R. R. Tolkien
28. “The waterfall winks at every passerby.” - Marty Rubin
29. “I love you like a river that understands that it must learn to flow differently over waterfalls and to rest in the shallows.” - Paulo Coelho
30. “Mountain-rose petals, falling, falling, falling now…Waterfall music.” - Matsuo Basho
Peaceful Waterfall Quotes
31. “Many a calm river begins as a turbulent waterfall, yet none hurtles and foams all the way to the sea.” - Mikhail Lermontov
32. “Dreams are made of trails and waterfalls.” - Unknown
33. “For an instant, silence, noisier than a waterfall.” - Salman Rushdie
34. “Twisting through the thorn-thick underbrush, scratched and exhausted, one turns suddenly to find an unexpected waterfall, not half a mile from the nearest road, a spot so hard to reach that no one comes to a hiding place, a shrine for dragonflies and nesting jays, a sign that there is still one piece of property that won’t be owned.” - Dana Gioia
35. “Within a waterfall the sound of a pine forest a thousand years old” - Michael McClintock
36. “Water is the driver of nature.” - Leonardo Da Vinci
37. “When you’re young, there’s so much that you can’t take in. It’s pouring over you like a waterfall. When you’re older, it’s less intense, but you’re able to reach out and drink it. I love being older.” - Sigourney Weaver
38. “Waterfalls hang like ribbons of silk.” - Han Shah
39. “Do not feel sad for your tears, as rocks never regret the waterfalls.” - Munia Khan
40. “When I was walking in the mountains with the Japanese man and began to hear the water, he said, ‘What is the sound of the waterfall?’ ‘Silence,’ he finally told me.” - Jack Gilbert
Inspirational Quotes about Waterfalls
41. “The ordinary-sized stuff which is our lives, the things people write poetry about - clouds, waterfalls, daffodils, what happens in a cup of coffee when the cream goes in - These things are full of mystery, as mysterious to us as the heavens were to the Greeks.” - Tom Stoppard
42. “A waterfall cannot be silent, just as wisdom. When they speak, the voice of power speaks.” - Mehmet Murat Ildan
43. “When you are outpouring your emotion, it is like me trying to climb up a waterfall to get to you. But if you are calm and have faith in me, I can sail right over to you on the still waters of your soul.” - Kate McGahan
44. We let time cascade over us like a waterfall, believing it to be never-ending. Yet each day that touches us, and every man in the world is unique; irredeemable; over.’ - Josephine Hart
45. “I feel like water that transforms from a flowing river to a tranquil lake to a powerful waterfall to a freshwater spring to a meandering creek to a salty sea to raindrops gentle on your face to hard, stinging hail to frost on a mountaintop, and back to a river again.” - María Virginia Farinango
46. “Emerald slopes became so tall they touched the clouds, and showers painted diamond waterfalls that sluiced down cliff sides.” - Victoria Kahler
47. “I keep my gratitude in my smile, a glistening waterfall in the sun” - Sanober Khan
48. “I love you like a river that understands that it must learn to flow differently over waterfalls.” - Paulo Coelho
49. “When the moonlight and the waterfall come together, all other things fade from the scene!” - Mehmet Murat Ildan
50. “With meditation, I found a ledge above the waterfall of my thoughts.” - Mary Pipher
Powerful Waterfall Quotes
51. “A waterfall is concerned only with being itself, not with doing something it considers waterfall-like.” - Vernon Howard
52. “While people are struggling unhappily in the cities against the cruel authorities, a waterfall happily and cheerfully flows in nature; there is happiness only if there is freedom!” - Mehmet Murat Ildan
53. “All anyone can hope for is just a tiny bit of love, like a drop in a cup if you can get it, or a waterfall, a flood, if you can get that too.” - Edwidge Danticat
54. “I need waves. I need waterfalls. I want rushing currents.” - Tahereh Mafi
55. “Young leaves, the sound of a waterfall, heard from far and near.” - Yosa Buson
56. “My desert soul erupts with turquoise water, floods and cascades and waterfalls rushing in around my rocky parts, pushing and reshaping and filling every hidden dark spot.” - Kiersten White
57. “The vast waterfall of history pours down, and a few obituarists fill teacups with the stories.” - Marilyn Johnson
58. “Be soft in your practice. Think of the method as a fine silvery stream, not a raging waterfall.” - Sheng-yen
59. “I can see my rainbow calling me through the misty breeze of my waterfall." - Jimi Hendrix
60. “Water does not resist. Water flows. When you plunge your hand into it, all you feel is a caress.” - Margaret Atwood
Love Waterfall Quotes? You’ll Love These Ones!
61. “God is discovered entirely through creation - the brilliance of a sunset, the powerful roar of a waterfall, the symphony of sounds you hear in the heart of the forest, or the vastness of spaces and its countless stars” - Benjamin F Sullivan
62. “Waterfalls are nature’s waterslides.” - Unknown
63. “The point is that when I see a sunset or a waterfall or something, for a split second it's so great, because for a little bit I'm out of my brain, and it's got nothing to do with me.” - Chris Evans
64. “Another way to look at meditation is to view thinking itself as a waterfall, a cascading of thought. In cultivating mindfulness, we are going beyond or behind our thinking, much the way you might find a vantage point in a cave or depression in the rock behind a waterfall. We still see and hear the water, but we are out of the torrent.” - Jon Kabat-Zinn
65. “Experiencing the present purely is being empty and hollow; you catch grace as a man fills his cup under a waterfall.” - Annie Dillard
66. “Once we have tasted far streams, touched the gold, found some limit beyond the waterfall, a season changes, and we come back changed but safe, quiet, grateful.” - William Stafford
67. “When God takes a shower, waterfalls come to life around the world. When I take a shower, my hair usually clogs the drain.” - Anthony T. Hincks
68. “You don’t have the power to make rainbows or waterfalls, sunsets or roses, but you do have the power to bless people by your words and smiles. You carry within you the power to make the world better.” - Sharon G. Larsen
69. “Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time?” That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains, everywhere and that the present only exists for it, not the shadow of the past nor the shadow of the future.” - Hermann Hesse
70. “The fall of dropping water wears away the stone.” – Lucretius
Chasing Waterfall Quotes
71. “A river cuts through a rock, not because of its power but because of its persistence.” - Jim Watkins
72. “Water is the most perfect traveller because when it travels it becomes the path itself!”- Mehmet Murat Ildan
73. “When water falls, it flies.” - Anthony Hincks
74. “Life is naked. A nude body is the truest and noblest symbol of life. If I draw a mountain as a heap of human forms and paint a waterfall in the shape of tumbling human bodies, it is because I see in the mountain a heap of living things, and in the waterfall a precipitate current of life.” - Kahlil Gibran
75. “Watch waterfalls of pity roar, you feel to moan but unlike before, you discover that you’d just be one more person crying.” - Bob Dylan
76. “I love the sounds and the power of pounding water, whether it is the waves or a waterfall.” - Mike May
77. “We would no longer pass sweet breezy days in our sleek tent, in mossy hills and sun, showering in waterfalls. That era was now our memory, a shared dream.” - Aspen Matis
78. “A waterfall happily and cheerfully flows in the nature; there is happiness only if there is freedom!” - Mehmet Murat Ildan
79. “My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.” - Mel Brooks
80. “Many a calm river begins as a turbulent waterfall, yet none hurtles and foams all the way to the sea.” - Mikhail Lermontov
81. “We are all naturally seekers of wonders. We travel far to see the majesty of old ruins, the venerable forms of the hoary mountains, great waterfalls, and galleries of art. And yet the world’s wonder is all around us; the wonder of setting suns, and evening stars, of the magic spring-time, the blossoming of the trees, the strange transformations of the moth.” - Albert Pike
82. “There’s music in water. Brooks babbling, fountains splashing. Weirs, waterfalls, tumbling, gushing.”- Julie Andrews
83. “It is like the leap from a waterfall. I do not know, until then, what I am going to do.” - Madeline Miller
84. “As the music played over the speakers and the waterfall in the pool filled the silence around us, I knew that without a doubt I had just been ruined.” - Abbi Glines
Funny waterfall quotes
85. “You don’t always get the waterfall shortcut in Mario Kart. That’s life.” - Jack Barakat
86. “Canoe + waterfall = I don’t go camping anymore.” - Demetri Martin
87. “Sometimes, it’s hard to tell how fast the current’s moving until you’re headed over a waterfall.” - Kimberly McCreight
88. “By the time we arrived, as evening was approaching, I felt as sore as a rock must feel when the waterfall has pounded on it all day long.” - Arthur Golden
89. “Be careful crossing the waterfall, it’s a fatal spot.” - Karl Meltzer
90. “Lessons from a waterfall: keep moving, and you will eventually get over it.” - Unknown
90 Waterfall Captions for Instagram
Not at Instagram snaps call for a proper quote though. If you’re looking for something a little more personal to put beneath your latest waterfall pic, then feel free to pick and choose from the following waterfall captions ideas to come!
My Favourite Captions for waterfall pics
91. Going with the flow of things.
92. Natural beauty in all its glory!
93. Life’s struggles disappear as the water washes over my soul.
94. A cascade of cacophonous sounds.
95. Chasing waterfalls…
96. Feeling grateful to Mother Nature.
97. Mesmerized by these mind-blowing falling waters.
98. Water water everywhere.
99. Time stands still as the waterfall does its work.
100. Life is like a waterfall. Loud and unstoppable and breath-taking.
Memorable Waterfall caption Ideas
101. There’s no-where I’d rather be.
102. Waterfalls make their own music.
103. Who needs showers when you can bathe in waterfalls?
104. Dazzled by the beauty on display.
105. There can be no better metaphor for life than waterfalls. Both are as beautiful as each other.
106. Hiding behind waterfalls.
107. Never forget that this almighty torrent was once a tiny trickle.
108. Seeing power like that makes you realize how powerless you are.
109. Standing here, looking up, feeling the soft spray of water on my face. I feel alive.
110. Waterfalls, like mountains, command my attention and make me gush like a poet.
Inspiring Captions About Waterfalls
111. How can something as simple as falling water be so profound to behold?
112. Mother Nature putting on a show.
113. Water falling over the precipice as fast as the stress is leaving my body.
114. Water, waves, gushes, and rushes.
115. From top to bottom and back up again, that’s one beautiful waterfall.
116. Wild falling waters shudder through my soul Mother Nature’s irresistible clarion call.
117. Watery waiting for? Jump in!
118. My spirits soar with the water falls rising mist.
120. Taking a dunk in a waterfall’s pool.
Humorous Waterfall Captions
121. Everything’s going swimmingly.
122. This waterfalls too mainstream for my liking!
123. Smiling like a water-fool.
124. Me and the bestie. Just two pairs of water-fools.
125. This scene is proof that TLC were wrong.
126. Water falling in love all over again.
127. This waterfall puts my power shower to shame!
128. Waterfalls are the original livestreaming.
129. And to think I’d normally be in the office…
130. Bruce Lee said to be like water. If I were like this water I’d be loud, brutish, and dangerous to be around!
Light-Hearted Instagram Captions for Waterfalls
131. There’s nothing like a waterfall to put a smile on my face!
132. Feeling restored by the beauty of my surroundings.
133. Hiking up to a waterfall. There’s no better way to spend the day.
134. Waterfalls capture my attention, my heart, and my imagination.
135. Watching waterfalls never grows old.
136. If you ever want to feel fully alive- fully present- stand beneath a waterfall and look up toward the sky.
137. A magical moment.
138. Everyday struggles never cease to dissipate in the midst of such magnificence.
139. Live by the water. Love by the moon.
140. If the gentle streams that trickle at the foot of enormous waterfalls teach us anything, it’s that life continues onward, no matter how far you fall.
Short Captions for Waterfall Pics
141. Waterfalls force you to stop, take stock, and realize the wonder that exists in every moment.
142. Boulders beneath roaring falls.
143. The perpetual motion of falling water is hypnotic to behold.
144. I. Can’t. Stop. Looking. At. This. Waterfall.
145. Misty rainbows hang as ribbons in the air.
146. Allowing watery torrents to wash away troubles.
147. Woah. That’s a whole lotta water.
148. Wild waterfalls awaken me from my trance.
149. Few sounds energize the legs and mind more than running, falling water.
150. Waterfalls remind us that real beauty lays in simplicity.
Poetic Falls Captions
151. The noise of these falls drown out more than our mere voices. It shuts our minds up too.
152. Watching waterfalls in a state of wishful wonder.
153. Water pounds the rocks below and pummels my soul with them.
154. Waterfalls + forest + sunshine = my happy place.
155. How can something as simple as water falling from a height be so captivating?
156. Raw power thunders before my eyes, as if the Gods themselves are displaying their displeasure.
157. Waterfalls give the best shoulder massages.
158. Today was a good idea.
159. All I’ve said for the last 10 minutes: “Wow. Woah. Wowzers! Phwoooar!”
160. A waterfall at the end of a hike is proof that hard work’s worth the effort.
Beautiful Instagram Waterfall Captions
161. A shuddering show of strength from Mother Nature herself.
162. How could anyone look at something like that and feeling anything other than awe?
163. Any time I see a waterfall I can’t not imagine what it’d be like to fall off the top.
164. Waterfalls are the definition of poetry in motion.
165. And to think that waterfalls this grand have developed and disappeared throughout history without anyone to witness them. How privileged I feel to be here for this one.
166. Nothing I could ever write would do justice to this scene.
167. Proof that waterfalls have personalities.
168. The water never stops falling. The wonder never stops forming.
169. Hard to fathom such monumental beauty.
Insightful Waterfall Captions for Instagram
170. Awakened by the waterfall.
171. As strong, stoic, and undefeated as the rocks beneath the falls.
172. Seeing the world from behind a waterfall makes me feel like I’m living life behind someone else’s eyes.
173. Waterfalls never fail to impress.
174. Sunlight shining through a waterfall’s mist.
175. Life, like waterfalls, never flows backward.
176. Feeling wild and free like the waterfall in front of me.
177. Few discoveries are as exciting as a waterfall through the trees.
178. The freedom of the falls gives wings to my spirit.
179. If you ever need inner peace, spend time next to waterfalls.
180. I’m always disappointed when waterfalls have viewing platforms and railings. It feels restrictive, manicured, and meddlesome- the exact opposite of everything waterfalls symbolize.
Enjoy These Waterfall Captions and Waterfall Quotes for Instagram!
It’s hard to look up at a waterfall and fail to be impressed by the sight. By the same token, it’s all too easy to look up at them and feel totally lost for words!
And that’s less than ideal when you’re trying to find the perfect waterfall captions for Instagram.
If you’re familiar with the struggle, then I hope this list of waterfall quotes and captions about waterfalls will help! With any luck, they’ll provide all the inspiration you need to write a compelling waterfall caption that your followers will love.