I’ve loved camping and being outdoors ever since I was a kid.
However, to put it bluntly, one thing I’ve never quite gotten used to is doing a number two out in the bush! Call me precious, but I miss the convenience and comfort (not to mention the cleanliness) of an ordinary toilet.
Enter the role of the camping porta potty.
They’re the perfect item to bring along whenever you’re spending days at a time in the great outdoors.
They make the process of using the bathroom far more straightforward and help everything stay clean, odour-free, and altogether more sanitary on site.
Are you on the hunt for the best portable toilet for camping?
Well, to help you decide which porta potties for camping are actually worth the money, I decided to review the best ones I could find.
Read on to discover the best camping toilet available today.
[Last Checked & Updated: February 2021]
Heads up, this post contains affiliate links.
Best Porta Potties for Camping- Summary Table
How to Choose the Best Portable Toilet for Camping
Before we venture into the best camping toilet reviews, let us discuss WHAT the best camping toilet is. In this section, I will highlight the top considerations you should take when shopping for the best portable toilet for camping.
The Capacity of the Adult Portable Toilet
The capacity of your portable camp toilet is one of the first factors you should consider.
The flush tank of a regular porta potty can hold anywhere between 2 to 5 gallons. The more water your portable camp toilet can contain, the longer you can use it at a time.
Hence, consider your trip duration when deciding which portable toilet for camping to purchase. Compare the time you are looking to spend away from a bathroom with the capacity of the toilet, and make your decision from there.
The Potential for Camping Porta Potty Problems
What’s worse than not having portable potties for camping? Having a portable camp toilet that leaks!!
Can you imagine the mess if your adult portable toilet was to leak at the campsite? It’d be a nightmare! Avoiding a situation like this is why you need to be extra careful when buying a portable chemical toilet.
Always pick one that has an effective method of keeping waste safely locked in until it’s time to be emptied.
The Waste Removal Process of Portable Potties for Camping
Classified broadly, there are two main types of portable toilets – chemical and compost.
Chemical toilets handle waste by using chemicals to liquefy everything. It’s the more popular potty type among the two, and, in my opinion, handles the waste much more effectively.
The other type of porta potty out there is the compost potty. This is a more eco-friendly option. No water is needed to manage the waste and the odour’s kept from leaking out. Lightweight and mobile, it’s an excellent option for campers who aren’t so keen on chemicals!
The Product Dimensions & Weight of the Best Camping Toilet
Finally, the product dimensions and the net weight of the porta potty should play a role in the final purchase decision.
You want a camping toilet to be portable, above all! Having something too bulky or heavy to carry around easily would defeat the point.
The best camping toilet is one that has a large capacity and yet remains small and lightweight enough to transport.
Related Content You Might Find Useful:
- THE 8 BEST HIKING BOOTS UNDER 100 BUCKS
- THE TOP 10 BEST MINIMALIST HIKING SHOES AND BOOTS REVIEWS
- THE BEST HAMMOCK TARP
- THE BEST BUG NET FOR HAMMOCK CAMPING
- THE BEST HIKING UNDERWEAR FOR MEN
The Best Porta Potty for Camping Buying Guide:
Top 7 Camping Porta Potties Reviews
Okay, I promised you portable toilet reviews, and I’m here to deliver. Here’s all you need to know about the 7 best camping toilets you can buy today.
1. Reliance Luggable Loo Portable 5 Gallon Toilet
- Toilet seat height: 15 inches
- Product dimensions: 13 inches x 13 inches
- Product weight: 3 pounds
- Maximum capacity: 20 litres or 5 gallons
The Reliance Luggable Loo has a massive number of five-star reviews online, which all speak to its quality and simplicity as a porta-potty.
It sports a simple bucket style design with a traditional snap-on lid. This portable toilet for camping really takes away all the complexity in favour of a simple-to-use product.
One of these will weigh less than 3 pounds, so they are super portable. Yet they hold up to 5 gallons of waste too, so they’re unquestionably effective too.
However, with all that’s good about this toilet, there’s also some bad. An important point to consider before clicking add to cart is the weight limit. At 200 lb, anybody weighing more than that might find themselves in a messy situation.
When the Reliance Double Doodie Bag is full, simply replace it with another, and you are good to go.
- Economical and budget-friendly
- Lightweight and mobile
- Compatible with reliance standard double doodie bags
- Simple yet smart design
- Can only support a maximum weight of up to 200 pounds
2. Camco Portable Travel Toilet
- Product dimensions: 15.5 x 14 x 16 inches
- Total seat width: 13 inches
- Holding tank capacity: 5.3 gallons
- Flush tank capacity: 2.5 gallons
This Camco travel toilet is an inexpensive and budget-friendly option.
It offers excellent value for your money and many useful features, which make it a contender for the best porta potty for camping on this list.
The simple but smart design is brilliant for managing waste effectively. It comes with a convenient, detachable base holding tank with a capacity of 5.3 gallons.
A sealing valve makes sure that there are no leaks from the porta-potty either. That means no waste or odour should seep out and disturb your trip. Everything is kept immaculately clean and smelling good.
- Bellow type flush
- Sturdy construction
- Leakproof and odour proof
- The holding tank is detachable
- The inside seat dimensions are only 8.5 x 9 inches
3. Thetford White Porta Potti
- Toilet seat height: 17 inches
- Freshwater tank capacity: 4 gallons
- Wastewater tank capacity: 5.5 gallons
- Product dimensions: 15.25 inches x 17.25 inches
It’s not every day that I describe a toilet as ‘good looking’. However, the White Thetford Corp camping toilet has got the aesthetics down! This camping toilet offers you a dignified perch when you’ve got to go.
It’s small enough to ensure mobility and yet large enough to ensure a high level of functionality. The ADA compliant toilet seat makes it comfortable and convenient to use.
This portable toilet is odourless and leak-proof too, thanks to a sealed valve that keeps any unpleasant smells or waste from escaping. With an ergonomic carrying handle, an integrated toilet paper holder, and a tank level indicator, this porta-potty boasts a bunch of helpful features that are sure to improve the camp toilet experience.
- Lightweight and portable
- Large fresh and wastewater capacity
- Helpful indicators for water level
- Low water levels in the holding tank can decrease stability
- Expensive compared to others on this list
- It’s pretty heavy!
4. Cleanwaste Portable Toilet
- Product dimensions: Briefcase size when folded
- Maximum weight capacity: 500 pounds
- Foldable kit with built-in carry handle
The Reliance collapsible portable toilet is one of my favourite porta-potties on this list. The fold to go toilet is incredibly compact, inexpensive, and efficient when it comes to handling waste.
Its collapsibility is a major selling point. Folding up to the size of a briefcase (and folding out to the size of a regular toilet!), the Cleanwaste camping toilet is easy to transport in and around camp, and straight-forward to store when you don’t need it.
The simple waste bag system means there are no chemicals or waste storage tanks involved. It’s hugely popular online, with raving reviews about its functionality, stability, and ease of use.
- Inexpensive and efficient
- Comes with a Go anywhere toilet kit
- Easily foldable kit to carry around with an integrated handle
- No issues with weight capacity
- Extremely compact and easy to store when not in use
- Possible difficulty folding the legs in and out of the kit.
Looking for a high-quality knife to take into the great outdoors too? Check out this post about the best knives for backpacking!
Prefer to use a hatchet? Check out the best hatchets for backpacking, hiking, and camping instead.
Looking for a complete portable bathroom setup? Check out the best portable showers for camping too!
5. Thetford Porta Potti Qube Camping Toilet
- Freshwater holding tank capacity: 15L
- Wastewater holding tank capacity: 12L
- Product dimensions: 12.99 x 15.08 x 16.81 inches
- Product weight: 8.4 pounds
This multipurpose porta potty is exceptionally versatile. It’s compact, high-quality, and as good in the great outdoors as it would be on a boat or built into an RV.
With a sturdy construction, you can expect a comfortable perch, and leak-proof design to keep everything clean and odour-free. Throw in a manual flush and piston pump pour out spout (to dispose of the waste), and it’s one of the best camping toilets available in this price range.
The one downside? You’ll need to buy the chemicals separately, which adds to the overall price. Other than that, it seems hard to fault.
- Easy to use, stable, and sturdy construction
- Leak-proof tank with manual flush and large waste/water tanks
- Compact and portable
- Can be used in recreational vehicles and on campsites alike
- Chemicals sold separately
6. Camco Premium Travel Outdoor Toilet
- Product dimensions: 17.5 x 16.5 x 18 inches
- Product weight (when empty): 11.5 pounds
- Product weight (when full): 31.5 pounds
- Holding tank capacity: 5.3 gallons
- Flush tank capacity: 3.75 gallons
Looking for a portable camping toilet to use on a family camping trip? The Camco Premium Outdoor Toilet would be a great bet.
I like this model so much because it’s large, sturdy, and highly functional all-around. You’ll enjoy the ease of use and efficient waste removal, which makes it one of the best portable flush toilets out there.
The holding tank capacity is top-notch and will last you several uses. Innovative technology should protect you against embarrassing leaks and odours as well.
- Detachable holding tank distributes the total weight and makes transport easier
- Sliding gate valves prevent odour and waste leaks
- Easy cleanup and waste removal
- Can get considerably heavy when full
7. Playberg Folding Portable Travel Toilet
- Product dimensions: 19.8 x 16.5 x 15.5 inches
- Product weight: 6.6 lbs
- Maximum holding tank capacity: up to 8 gallons
The Playberg folding travel toilet would be another versatile, functional, and easy to use option for campers of all ages.
Fully extended, it’s a good size to perch on, with a sturdy base and an ergonomic design for added comfort.
A major selling point is its ability to fold down to a smaller size. I wouldn’t say it’s tiny, but the reduction would definitely facilitate portability and storage. Throw in its removable cover (that should seal in nasty smells) and a handy toilet paper holder, and you’re onto a winner.
The Playberg’s a no-nonsense camping toilet that uses 8-gallon waste bags to gather the waste. That makes it easy to use, with a detachable bucket that should, in theory, mean there’s no potential for mess either! Heads up, the bags are sold separately.
- Comfortable, foldable and lightweight makes this porta potty a pleasure to use and easy to transport.
- Easy to use, with minimal assembly required.
- Detachable bucket and waste bags mean no mess or waste.
- Waste bags sold separately
- Plastic seems flimsy
Want something to keep you dry in a downpour? Check out the best waterproof ponchos.
BEST CAMPING TOILET BUYING GUIDE: FINAL THOUGHTS
You’re spoiled for choice when it comes to portable potties for camping! In fact, the sheer number of options available online can make it hard to choose the right one for the job.
And trust me, it’s an important job! When you’re in the great outdoors and busting for the loo, having a high-quality camping porta-potty can make a mighty difference.
Hopefully, this post will help you choose the best portable toilet for camping possible.