I love road trips. Always have and always will!
In fact, I love them so much that I decided to sit down and find some epic road trip quotes to inspire my future trips.
I didn’t just want any old road trip captions and quotes though.
Nope, I wanted to find the funny ones.
Alas, I soon found out that genuinely funny road trip quotes aren’t so common.
There’s no shortage of ones that claim to be funny. But the ones that actually make you grin, chuckle, giggle, and guffaw are few and far between!
I kept searching, though, and eventually came up with a list of 50 funny quotes about road trips that should, with a bit of leeway, live up to their name.
Want to judge for yourself? Check out this list of 50 funny road tripping quotes.
50 Funny Road Trip Quotes & Road Trip Captions Ideas
I’m afraid I can’t promise that you’ll be rolling around on the floor in fits of giggles throughout this blog post.
Nevertheless, here are the funniest quotes on road trips I could find. I hope they’ll at least raise a smile to your lips.
Heads up, you might also like this post with 105 roads of life quotes as well! Check it out :)
1. “Road trips require a couple of things: a well-balanced diet of caffeine, salt and sugar and an excellent selection of road trip tunes. Oh, and directions!” – Jenn McKinlay
2. “Sometimes the road less travelled is less travelled for a reason.” – Jerry Seinfeld
3. “We all have that one friend who is either on a road trip or planning a road-trip or thinking about a road-trip or talking to people who are on a road-trip or posting quotes about road trips.” – Crestless Wave
4. “Kilometers are shorter than miles. Save fuel, take your next trip in Kilometers.” – George Carlin
6. “Never underestimate the therapeutic power of driving and listening to very loud music.” — Unknown
7. “I wish road trips could pay my bills.” – Unknown
8. “All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road.” – Jack Kerouac
9. “I just said we’d make it across. I didn’t say anything about the wheels staying on.” – Road Trip (the movie)
10. “Well, we’re not in the middle of nowhere, but we can see it from here.”- Thelma & Louise
Looking for things to do on your future road trips? Check out this post for 40 ideas!
11. “It’s a road trip! It is about adventure… It’s not like we have somewhere to go.” – John Green
12. “If you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there.” - Lewis Carroll
13. “Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes in the middle of nowhere you find yourself.” - Stacy Westfall
14. “This is no longer a vacation. It’s a quest. It’s a quest for fun. You’re gonna have fun, and I’m gonna have fun…we’re all gonna have so much f***ing fun we’re gonna need plastic surgery to remove our goddamn smiles!” – National Lampoon’s Vacation
16. “That's why I love road trips, dude. It's like doing something without actually doing anything.” – John Green
17. “If you’re not lost, you’re not much of an explorer.” – John Perry Barlow
18. “A bend in the road, is not the end of the road….unless you fail to make the turn.” - Helen Keller
19. “The success of your journey and your destination all depend on who’s driving.” – Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen
20. “If you make the mistake of looking back too much, you aren’t focused enough on the road in front of you.” – Brad Paisley
21. “I love being on the road. I love that lifestyle, traveling city to city, rocking out and moving on to the next place.” - Caleb Johnson
22. “Hit the road, Jack!” – Ray Charles
23. “It’s a road trip! It’s about adventure…It’s not like we have somewhere to go.” – John Green, An Abundance of Katherines
24. “You know more of a road by having travelled it than by all the conjectures and descriptions in the world.” – William Hazlitt
26. “It doesn’t matter how old you get, buying snacks for a road trip should always look like an unsupervised 9 year old was given $100.” – Unknown
27. “Look at life through the windshield, not the rearview mirror.” – Byrd Baggett
28. “A road trip is a way for the whole family to spend time together and annoy each other in interesting and new places.” - Tom Lichtenheld
29. “Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” – Hunter S Thompson
30. “The entire road trip could be summed up as one giant attempt to keep from crashing the car during fits of rage and fits of hysteria.” - Kari Martindale
Tired of having awkward conversations in the car? Check out these 125 road trip questions!
31. “If you’re on a road trip, you need driving music.” – Edgar Wright
32. “Because the greatest part of a road trip isn’t arriving at your destination. It’s all the wild stuff that happens along the way.” - Emma Chase
33. “Roadtripophobia (n.) The fear of not having any road trips currently booked.” – Unknown
34. “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey.” – Babs Hoffman
36. “I don’t know where I’m going from here but I promise it won’t be boring.” – David Bowie
37. “Baby, you got the keys. Now shut up and drive.” — Shut Up and Drive, Rihanna
38. “Americans will put up with anything provided it doesn’t block traffic.” – Dan Rather
39. “Nobody travels on the road to success without a puncture or two.” – Unknown
40. “I wonder why it is that when I plan a route too carefully, it goes to pieces, whereas if I blunder along in blissful ignorance aimed in a fancied direction I get through with no trouble.” – John Steinbeck
41. “We’re almost there, but nowhere near it. All that matters is that we’re going.” – Gilmore Girls
42. “Driving is boring,” Rabbit pontificates, “but it’s what we do. Most of American life is driving somewhere and then driving back wondering why the hell you went.” – John Updike
43. “In 1903 the Wright brothers invented airplanes, because in 1902 they took a road trip across the country with their family.” - Bill Engvall
44. “Take care of your car in the garage, and the car will take care of you on the road.” – Amit Kalantri
46. “Road Trips: Because they’re cheaper than therapy.” – Unknown
47. “People having babies and getting married…and I’m like: where am I road-tripping to next?”
48. “People don’t take trips, trips take people.” - John Steinbeck
49. “Happiness is a road trip with a good playlist.” – Unknown
50. “A tourist is a fellow who drives thousands of miles so he can be photographed standing in front of his car.” – Emile Genest
Don’t Forget These Funny Road Trip Captions & Car Ride Quotes
So, how’d I do? Did any of these funny road trip quotes do the trick?
I really hope so! They’re literally the best funny quotes about road trips I could find…And I went through hundreds and hundreds of them to put this post together.
I know, they’re unlikely to ever make anybody’s cheeks hurt or sides split from laughing too hard. But with any luck, they’ll have at least satisfied your search for amusing road trip captions and quotes! Now I’d love to hear from you…
Did you have a favourite from this list of funny trip quotes? Let me know in the comments below!