Life is like a road.
Not like German autobahns, or the ones made by the Ancient Romans, though. Nope, those are far too straight and smooth.
The road of life is more like a rickety old wagon-trail making its way up a mountain.
It’s long, winding, and pot-holed, with terrifying drops on either side! It has ups and downs, level patches and death-defying descents along the way.
The road of life can be tumultuous. But, ultimately, it’s always taking you somewhere.
Have you arrived at a cross-roads in your life? Are you facing a tough patch that’s testing your mettle? Or are you unsure what’s around the corner?
Well, I hope this post will help!
Jam-packed with quotes about roads and life, the beautiful, insightful words (from some of the world’s most eloquent individuals) to come should make a difference. Sound good?
Read on for 105 unforgettable roads of life quotes.
105 Roads of Life Quotes
I’ve broken down this long list of 105 quotes about roads of life into more manageable subsections.
I hope you find (at least) one or two amongst them all that speak to you! Enjoy.
My Favourite Quotes on Roads of Life
1. “Sometimes the most scenic roads in life are the detours you didn’t mean to take.” – Angela Blount
2. “Some beautiful paths can’t be discovered without getting lost.” – Erol Ozan
3. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” – Helen Keller
4. “Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.” – Mark Twain
6. “I see my path, but I don’t know where it leads. Not knowing where I’m going is what inspires me to travel it.” – Rosalia de Castro
7. “Grasshopper was tired. He lay down in a soft place. He knew that in the morning the road would still be there, taking him on and on to wherever he wanted to go.” ― Arnold Lobel, Grasshopper on the Road
8. “HODOPHILE (noun) a lover of roads; one who loves to travel.” – N/A
9. “All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road.” – Jack Kerouac
10. “No road is long with good company.” – Turkish Proverb
Inspiring Quotes about Roads of Life
11. “You may not find a path, but you will find a way.” – Tom Wolfe
12. “Any road not informed by the past will certainly be an uncertain one.” ― Craig D. Lounsbrough
13. “It feels good to be lost in the right direction.” - Unknown
14. “I’m on the road constantly. I’m a nomad. I don’t really have a home right now. I don’t identify with one place in particular.” – Daya
16. “Every journey is simultaneously a beginning and an ending: I was leaving my old life behind and starting on a road trip to find a new me.” – Debi Tolbert Duggar
17. “The road must eventually lead to the whole world.” – Jack Kerouac
18. “It feels good to be lost in the right direction.” – Unknown
19. “You don’t choose the day you enter the world and you don’t choose the day you leave. It’s what you do in between that makes all the difference.” – Anna Spetimus
20. “I take to the open road, healthy, free, the world before me.” – Walt Whitman
Insightful Quotes about Roads in Life
21. “If you come to a fork in the road, take it.” – Yogi Berra
22. “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
23. “I just go with the flow, I follow the yellow brick road. I don’t know where it’s going to lead me, but I follow it.” – Grace Jones
24. “The pleasure we derive from journeys is perhaps dependent more on the mindset with which we travel than on the destination we travel to.” – Alain de Botton
26. “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” -Martin Buber
27. “The open road is there, it will always be there. You just have to decide when to take it.” – Chris Humphrey
28. “Because the greatest part of a road trip isn’t arriving at your destination. It’s all the wild stuff that happens along the way.” – Emma Chase
29. “One’s destination is never a place, but rather a new way of seeing things.” -Henry Miller
30. “The road unfurls before us. Everything is possible.” ― Pete Wentz
Life is a Bumpy Road Quotes (Difficult Roads Quotes)
31. “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey.” – Babs Hoffman
32. “Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.” – Anthony Bourdain
33. “Now there was a sense of liberation, a feeling of finality. It's in the spinning of the wheels beneath him, the miles of road he has traveled, and the miles of road he has yet to travel. When had leaving ever seemed so difficult?” ― R.D. Pires
34. “Why does every road eventually narrow into a point at the horizon? Because that's where the point lies.” ― Vera Nazarian
36. “The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, and you should try not to forget snacks and magazines.” ― Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith
37. “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” – Mae West
38. “Sometimes the right path is not the easiest one.” – Grandmother Willow, Pocahontas
39. “When all’s said and done, all roads lead to the same end. So it’s not so much which road you take, as how you take it.” – Charles de Lint
40. “We must not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we began and to know the place for the first time.” -T. S. Eliot
Fun Quotes about the Road of Life
41. “Some roads steal your time; some roads steal your comfort and some roads steal your heart!” ― Mehmet Murat Ildan
42. “The road goes on forever and the party never ends.” – Robert Earl Keen
43. “Roads were made for journeys, not destinations.” – Confucius
44. “God made the world round so we would never be able to see too far down the road.” - Isak Dinesen
46. “Mountain in the distance. Move toward it. Now you're climbing it. Now you're over it. Now it's gone.” ― Eleanor Davis
47. “Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.” – Unknown
48. “I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.” – Douglas Adams
49. “If you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there.” – Lewis Carroll
50. “At the end of the day, your feet should be dirty, your hair messy and your eyes sparkling.” – Shanti
You Might Like These Related Posts:
Beautiful Road Quotes About Life
51. “Some roads aren’t meant to be traveled alone.” ― Chinese Proverb
52. “When you’re traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don’t have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.” – William Least Heat Moon
53. “Now, on this road trip, my mind seemed to uncrinkle, to breathe, to present to itself a cure for a disease it had not, until now, known it had.” – Elizabeth Berg
54. “The struggles we endure today will be the ‘good old days’ we laugh about tomorrow.” – Aaron Lauritsen
56. “Never travel on the road of no return.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
57. “The road listens. It believes in you.” - Foster Kinn
58. “I don’t know where I’m going, but I’m on my way.” – Carl Sagan
59. “If we were meant to stay in one place, we’d have roots instead of feet.” – Rachel Wolchin
60. “I was free with every road as my home. No limitations and no commitments.” – Charlotte Eriksson
Epic Road to Success Quotes
61. “Success is not a destination, but the road that you’re on. Being successful means that you’re working hard and walking your walk every day. You can only live your dream by working hard towards it. That’s living your dream.” – Marlon Wayans
62. “Failure, loss and defeat are just mile markers on the road to success.” ― Jeffrey Fry
63. “The road to success is rough and tough, you boil and toil but you finally smile in style.” ― Vincent Okay Nwachukwu
64. “The road may be long, tortuous and wearied. But the resulting success is enduring, sure and sweet. The fool abandons hope in the wearied journey of life.” - Abiodun Fijabi
65. “There’s a road to my heart. It does not go by your words. It does not want your body. It’s waiting for the tug at my soul.” ― Nitya Prakash
66. “If truth is what you seek, then the examined life will only take you on a long ride to the limits of solitude and leave you by the side of the road with your truth and nothing else.” ― Thomas Ligotti
67. “It’s the journey, not the destination, but that doesn’t make sense until you get there.” ― J.R. Rim
69. “At the end of the day, I understand that life has roadblocks, and life is like school – you’ll be tested; we gotta pass it.” – DJ Khaled
70. “Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me, as is ever so on the road.” – Jack Kerouac
71. “If you make the mistake of looking back too much, you aren’t focused enough on the road in front of you.” – Brad Paisley
72. “The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow, if I can, pursuing it with eager feet, until it joins some larger way. Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
73. “Life is not always perfect. Like a road, it has many bends, ups and down, but that’s its beauty.” ― Amit Ray
74. “She wasn’t where she had been. She wasn’t where she was going, but she was on her way.” ― Jodi Hills
75. “If you are not willing to risk the unusual, you will have to settle for the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Quotes About Taking the Right Road Less Travelled
76. “When within yourself you find the road, the right road will open.” - Dejan Stojanovic
77. “Sometimes the road of life takes an unexpected turn and you have no choice but to follow it to end up in the place you are supposed to be.” – Siddhartha Maddy
78. “Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” – Robert Frost
79. “In front of me there were two roads. I chose the less traveled road. And it made all the difference.” ― Paulo Coelho, The Witch of Portobello
80. “They say life is a highway and we all travel our own roads, some good, some bad, yet each is a blessing of its own.” ― Jess "Chief" Brynjulson
81. “I can speak to my soul only when the two of us are off exploring deserts or cities or mountains or roads.” - Paulo Coelho
82. “Direction is more important than speed. Many are going nowhere fast.” – Unknown
84. “Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don’t complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief, and jealousy. Don’t bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live!” – Bob Marley
85. “Sometimes you can't see the road ahead but as you keep going, it gets clearer. Stay the course as the fog of life dissipates.” ― Sanjo Jendayi
86. “It is not the destination where you end up but the mishaps and memories you create along the way.” – Penelope Riley
87. “Map out your future – but do it in pencil. The road ahead is as long as you make it. Make it worth the trip.” – Bon Jovi
88. “The road to peace is full of many man made obstacles.” ― Anthony T. Hincks
89. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” – Andre Gide
90. “The only impossible journey is the one you never begin.” – Tony Robbins
Lonely Road Quotes
91. “There's more to getting to where you're going then just knowing there's a road.” - Joan Lowery Nixon
92. “Look for chances to take the less-traveled roads. There are no wrong turns.” – Susan Magsamen
93. “Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.” – Jack Kerouac
94. “Those who follow the crowd usually get lost in it.” – Rick Warren
95. “Don’t expect the unexpected. Let the unexpected expect you.” ― Kiara Maharaj
96. “You will never be completely at home again, because part of your heart always will be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of loving and knowing people in more than one place.” – Miriam Adeney
97. “A long stretch of road will teach you more about yourself than a hundred years of quiet introspection.” ― Patrick Rothfuss
99. “Discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” – Marcel Proust
100. “The freedom of the open road is seductive, serendipitous, and absolutely liberating.” – Aaron Lauritsen
101. “Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person.” – Yvon Chouinard
102. “Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.” - T.S. Eliot
103. “People don’t take trips, trips take people.” – John Steinbeck
104. “I don't know where my road is going, but I know that I walk better when I hold your hand.” ― Alfred de Musset
105. “Straight roads do not make skilful drivers.” – Unknown
Remember These Quotes about Roads in Life
The road of life can be tricky to traverse and gnarly to navigate.
It’s a paradox: simultaneously beautiful and tragic; life-giving and heart-breaking.
Indeed, the road’s often marked and marred by difficulty. But it’s also immersed in wonder when we open our eyes to the world!
Fates and fortunes turn on a dime.
If we can keep our chins up, shake off our struggles, and wait patiently for the ebbs and flows of life to start working in our favour, then things can and will look up. Sometimes, all it takes to see the light is an inspirational quote!
If you’re in a tricky spot right now, then I hope the 105 roads of life quotes in this post will help you do exactly that.